- onions: 2 finely chopped
- garlic: 1 tbs., finely chopped
- parsley: 2 tbs. finely chopped
- fresh mussels: 1 ½ kilo
- white wine: ¼ cup
- olive oil: ½ cup
- short grain rice: 1 cup
- tomatoes: 300 gr., finely chopped
- tomato puree: 1 tbs.
- chilli pepper: 1 finely chopped
- salt a bit
- pepper freshly ground
- Clean the shells, remove the beards and wash well.
- Steam in a pot with the wine until the shells open.
- Discard the mussels whose shells did not open.
- Keep 5-6 mussels in their shells for garnish and remove the shells from the rest.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and chilli pepper in the oil.
- Add the mussels and all the ingredients except for the rice and salt and pepper.
- As soon as the sauce comes to a boil, pour in the rice and water to make the pilaf (you can also use the juice used to steam the mussels but you must strain it first).
- Remove the pot from the heat when the rice is cooked, before all the liquid has evaporated.
- Salt and pepper and serve garnished with the mussels in their shells.