- small lentils: 500 gr
- onions: 2 finely chopped
- garlic: 3 cloves, cut in half
- tinned tomatoes: 400 gr
- bay leaves: 2-3 leaves
- olive oil: ½ cup
- carrots: 2, cut in cubes (optional)
- salt a bit
- pepper freshly ground
- vinegar to serve
- Clean the lentils and wash them well in colander.
- Boil them in plenty of water for 10 minutes and drain.
- In another pot, heat the oil and sauté the onions.
- Then add the lentils, the garlic and the carrots, and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes, plenty of water and the bay leaves.
- Cook the soup until the lentils and other ingredients are soft, approximately 1 hour.
- Towards the end, add the salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup in bowls and add vinegar to taste.