- 1 cup dry chickpeas (I used peeled)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight.
- Rinse and place in a pot with the onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Add water until it covers beans with about an inch of water above the beans.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes (it may take longer) until chickpeas are almost completely cooked and water is all absorbed.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees C.
- Stir in the tomato paste and let it heat, stirring gently so that it spreads over all the chickpeas.
- Remove from pot, empty the beans in a casserole dish and add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the dill.
- Blend well. Add about ½ cup warm water at the corner of the casserole dish and tilt so it spreads over the base of the whole dish. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil or with its lid. Roast for about 30 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature