- 250g. chickpeas, boiled and blended
- 1 onion finely choped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3-4 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp cumin grated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- oil for frying
- For the tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of celery , finely chopped
- 400-450g . chopped tomatoes
- salt, pepper, a little sugar
- Add all the ingredients except the oil in a blender and work the mixture until you get a smooth and very thick paste. Let it stay in the fridge for 30′.
- Wet your hands and shape the chickpeas paste into 24 round balls. Heat in a deep pan enough oil and fry the chickpea-balls for 2′-3′ or until they get a nice color. Transfer the “revithokeftedes” to a platter lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Serve them accompanied by the sauce.
- Sauté the onion and the celery in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of water, little sugar, slat and pepper and boil it, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the “revithokeftedes” in the tomato sauce and stir gently. Leave to simmer in low heat for 15 minutes, enabling them to absorb flavors from the tomato sauce. Serve “revithokeftedes” with rice or fried potatoes.